Monday, February 27, 2017

Miss Babs Spring 2017: Furinji

© Miss Babs
 
I haven't designed a shawl in a while, so I am really excited about my latest shawl design, Furinji. It was designed in collaboration with Miss Babs for their Spring 2017 Collection. Furinji is an asymmetrical triangular shawl worked from one point increasing outwards. The shawl has a garter stitch body and features a lace edging with a decorative fringe created by picots.
 © Angela Tong

The lace picot edging is my favorite detail in the shawl. The garter stitch body keeps the shawl easy to knit and the edging keeps the knitting from being boring. Furinji is knit with one skein of Keira in a babette colorway, Blue Dasher. It has crisp stitch definition with very little halo. Each skein has 560 yards so it yields a very nice sized shawl.
© Miss Babs

There was one slight change from my original design concept when I was finishing up the sample. In my sketch, you can see that there is no fringe on the other side. I felt it needed something on the bind off side of the shawl to balance the lace picot edging, so I used a picot bind off. I am very happy with how it turned out.

To block the shawl, I wet blocked it. I ran wires through the picots and the garter edge at the top of the shawl. Then I pulled aggressively and used the Knitter's Pride Knit Blockers to pin it down. I let it dry overnight and it came out perfectly. You can find my Furinji shawl pattern on Ravelry.

No comments: