Friday, February 09, 2018

Pin Loom Weaving a Log Cabin Design with Brown Sheep Company's Prairie Spun DK

The Brown Sheep Company has a great new yarn called Prairie Spun DK. It's a 3-ply yarn spun from 100% US wool. The DK weight yarn comes in a variety of colors and a generous 256 yards per skein. I chose the colors: Half & Half, Lost Lake, and Honeycomb. 
I chose to weave with this yarn because Brown Sheep yarns are not just only excellent for knitting and crocheting. As soon I felt the yarn, I knew it would weave up beautifully. It's a smooth yarn with a wooly feel. It can handle texture very well. I used another yarn to weave my samples first. I wanted to make a log cabin cowl inspired by the Fringe and Friends Log Along, but woven with my pin looms instead of knitting or crocheting it.
Once I knew the sizes I would be using, I began to weave with the Prairie Spun DK. I am using the Zoom Loom and my collection of Weavettes. The pattern I weaving is called Waffle Grid.
I wove a bunch of different sized squares and rectangles. Then I started piecing them together to form my log cabin block. I loved how the 3 colors worked with each other.
It's a bit fiddly to seam the block perfectly. But it was well worth my time to get the joins just right. In my video Creative Pin-Loom Designs, I show you how I seam my pin loom squares together.
The Prairie Spun DK has a nice elasticity. It really shows off the waffle grid pattern well. I just need a few more blocks and I can complete my cowl. Stayed tuned to see my finished cowl. 

Thank you to Brown Sheep Company for providing me the yarn for review.

3 comments:

Dianna said...

I hadn't thought about making a log cabin pattern from a pin loom, but seeing your weaving, that would be perfect! I think using a Totaloom would make it easier - the L chaped piece would be woven in one piece! I'll have to try it and let you know.

RonP said...

It works! https://www.ravelry.com/projects/fuzzyhubby/chevron-scarf

Carla said...

Where would I find this 'waffle grid' pattern of which you speak? I am just learning to weave on a 12x12 pin loom. I've made the bias weave dish cloths (which will go in the wash today to see how they turn out) and I would like to do a waffle weave on the pin loom. I found your post, but can't find a waffle grid pattern. Thank you for your help.